Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Code Name Verity Book Review

11925514 
Summary from Amazon:
Two young women become unlikely best friends during World War II, until one is captured by the Gestapo.

Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat. But then a vital mission goes wrong, and one of the friends has to bail out of a faulty plane over France. She is captured by the Gestapo and becomes a prisoner of war. The story begins in “Verity”’s own words, as she writes her account for her captors.Truth or lies? Honour or betrayal? Everything they've ever believed in is put to the test . . .

A gripping thriller, Code Name Verity blends a work of fiction into 20th century history with spine-tingling results. A book for young adults like no other.

“This is a remarkable book” Daily Mail



I love, love, love, love this book. I love it.

What I Liked:


  • Verity's voice. She's so resilient and somehow makes a book about an Allied spy caught by the Nazis almost funny in some places. 
  • The characterization. Verity is Verity throughout the book. In fact, I just reread the beginning, and something that might seem a bit outlandish at first is actually just so very Verity. 
  • The setup. The way this book is set up is amazing. It's so amazing, in fact, that I can't really tell you anything about it without spoiling everything
  • The title. I love the title. It fits the book so well, and I can't tell you why without, once again, spoiling the entire book.
  • The emotional plot. There is, namely, one big twist in this book that, I think, took every reader for a loop. It's one of the worst (emotions-wise) twists in book history. And it makes this book amazing. 
  • The cover. The cover fits this book so, so well. There are multiple covers and they're all awesome for different reasons. 
  • The theme. It's not about romance or anything like that. It's about friendship, something that, I think, is a bit overlooked in today's YA books. Most tend to focus on the romantic relationships, and sure, I'm a hopeless romantic, but this was a nice change of pace. 
What I Didn't Like:

There was some cursing in this book as well as some vulgar talk that I didn't really appreciate. That's my only real complaint, though.

In short:

This book is just plain awesome. Elizabeth Wein is so creative with the simple way she tells this story, and Verity is such a great character throughout it all. I absolutely love this book!


"I have told the truth." -Elizabeth Wein, Code Name Verity
*squeals and dances around giddily because I just made a reference that you people won't understand until you read the book!!!!* =D

2 comments:

  1. I cannot even begin to contain my feels about this book. OMG. I CANNOT FUNCTION AFTER THE ENDING. *clutches tissues and wails* I still haven't recovered. Are you going to read Rose Under Fire??? It's JUST as brilliant! I didn't think it'd top this, but yep, it did. ;-) The only thing I wasn't keen on for CNV was all the complicated plane-parts. I didn't really understand them. But I listened to it on audio, so I felt very educated on WWII planes...even if I didn't get it so much.
    BUT THE ENDING. AFJDKSLAFDS
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That ending.... *runs off into corner and sobs* *regains composure and walks back over calmly as though nothing happened* That was one of THE WORST endings I've read!

      I actually haven't read Rose Under Fire. I started it, but for some reason here lately, I just can't seem to finish a book. It seemed good, I just... I don't know... stopped reading it. :P

      Yeah. I just kind of skimmed over them. XD My friend almost stopped reading it because of the plane parts, but I managed to convince her to keep reading!!! (Thankfully, since I now have someone I can fangirl with over the book. XD)

      Delete