Monday, February 16, 2015

Teens Can Write Too: Music and Writing



Obviously, I love writing. But what would I do without music? I love everything from country to classic rock to (Christian) rock and rap to pop and alternative. So, I almost always have music playing when I'm at home and in my room. (Side musing: What in the world did I do before I had Spotify???)

And one of the first things I do when planning a novel is search for songs that could, in any way, shape, or form, fit my story. Then, as I'm writing, I'll play said playlist over and over again, and when I get sick of it, I'll just start playing random music. As long as some sort of music's playing, I'm good.

And this month's TCWT topic is "How does music relate to your writing?".  What a perfectly fantastic topic!!

Because I don't actually have a full playlist yet for my current WIP, I'll just share with you a playlist I've put together that's sort of my "go-to" pool of songs for new WIP's playlists. They're songs that I listened to, and that I thought had dynamic lyrics. They're songs whose lyrics I thought could potentially tell a story, or at the very least, supplement a story.

(And just a note: I don't know all of these artists- just these particular songs, so you might wish to use discretion if you want to go searching for some artists' other songs.)

So, here goes....


"The Scientist" by Coldplay

Coldplay has some really great lyrics. This was the first song of theirs I actually listened to (I think) after hearing (and loving) Holly Henry's version of it on The Voice. If you want some songs with good, dynamic lyrics, you should go check out Coldplay.

"The Reason" by Hoobastank

"Things Left Unsaid" by Disciple

Get the tissues ready. This song is sad, but I absolutely love it. I've learned that I actually kind of love sad things... But really, though, this is a beautiful song, but don't say I didn't warn you.

"Broken Wings" by Flyleaf

I love Flyleaf. They're one of my favorite bands, and they have some seriously awesome songs. I would definitely recommend going and checking out their songs as well.

"Would it Matter" by Skillet

Yet another sad song. Don't say I didn't warn you.

"There For You" by Flyleaf

"No Good Deed" by Idina Menzel

Okay, the Wicked soundtrack is incredible. No, I haven't actually seen Wicked, but I adore the soundtrack. If you haven't listened to it, go. Go listen to it now. Please? :D

"For Good" by Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel

"Defying Gravity" by Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel

"I'm Not That Girl" by Idina Menzel

"Heroes (we could be)" by Alesso

"Stop Standing There" by Avril Lavigne

I really like Avril Lavigne, but you really have to be careful with some of her songs. They're not always clean, and she definitely likes to use cuss words. This song, though, is great.

"Never Be The Same" by Red

"Worth A Thousand Words" by Mayday Parade

"Terrible Things" by Mayday Parade

This song. DX This song, this song, this song. It tells an incredibly beautiful story, but oh, boy, what a sad story it tells.


Okay, that's my list of songs. Do y'all have any songs that you think are great writing songs? Or any songs that you just love?

6 comments:

  1. Geez, you've picked out a bunch of my favorite things—Wicked, Skillet, Flyleaf, Avril Lavigne? These are all great picks, and it's fascinating to see what you decided on. :) Thanks for sharing your music playlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know what I did before I found the Wicked soundtrack. It's so amazing! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love Red! Their music is so awesome! I can hardly wait to check out the other songs on this list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Scientist was rec'ed to me just the other day, and I absolutely LOVED IT. So I'm definitely checking out all of your other picks. I think the one by Adele Dazeem -- pardon me, Idina Menzel -- will be absolutely fantastic. I've also heard so-so things about Avril Lavigne, but I'll check out your suggestion anyways :D Thanks for sharing these lovely recs!

    (Psst, I share a bunch of songs on my TCWT posttoo; check it out if you have time?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HahaXD Adele Dazeem... XD

      Yeah, I really like some of Avril Lavigne's songs, but others you probably want to avoid.

      I'll totally go check out your post! I'm always looking for new music recs! :D

      Delete